These vegetarian mushroom dumplings look impressive, but are easy to make at home! Have fun shaping and cooking the dumplings any way you like – you can steam them for 10 minutes, fry them, saute them, or boil them. Serve as a great appetizer or add them to soup.
Makes 16 dumplings
1. Heat vegetable and sesame oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add chopped onion. Cook for 3 minutes.
2. Add oyster mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add minced ginger and garlic and cook 2 more minutes. Add cabbage, carrots, scallions, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and mix well. Cook for 8 minutes.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste and spoon filling into a bowl. Cool filling for 15 minutes.
4. Fill each wonton wrapper with 1 teaspoon of the filling. Use water to wet the edges of the wonton wrapper. Bring all 4 corners of the wrapper together and press the edges together to seal tightly. You can also fold the wonton wrapper in half diagonally for an easy way to wrap the filling.
5. Bring a small pot of water to a gentle boil. Drop dumplings into the water a few at a time and cook for 1-2 minutes. Drop dumplings into cold water and drain.
6. For the dipping sauce, mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
Enjoy dumplings with dipping sauce or in a bowl of wonton soup!