It’s that time of year again… holiday feasts are upon us and we’re digging up our favorite recipes. This year, switch it up and surprise your guests with a dish that’s not just homemade, but homegrown! This delicious (and vegan!) Mushroom Gravy, features oyster mushrooms that you can grow in just 10 days. Add a hint of rosemary and thyme, and you’ll have the perfect savory gravy over garlic mashed potatoes or fluffy biscuits.
Disclaimer: They’ll never know it’s vegan, but it’ll definitely taste homegrown!
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Makes: 3 cups
2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, small dice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz (~2 cups) oyster mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
- 1 tsp thyme, minced
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- In a medium skillet on medium-high heat, add vegetable oil. Once oil is hot, add onion, garlic, mushrooms, thyme, rosemary, and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Stir well. Sauté for 10-12 minutes or until mushrooms have browned. They might stick to the bottom of the pan, don’t worry, you want that!
- Once the mushrooms have browned, carefully add the dry white wine and cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated away. Stir in vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and water. Pour the flour slurry into the gravy mixture and stir until nice and thick. Remove from heat and add 3 tbsp of vegan butter and stir until the butter is melted in. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve while hot over mashed potatoes or biscuits!
The post Vegan Mushroom Gravy appeared first on BTTR.