Why Stoneground Whole Wheat? - Back to the Roots - Official Site®
FREE STANDARD SHIPPING OVER $35

Why Stoneground Whole Wheat?

There’s a whole lot of confusion around the names “whole grain” and “whole wheat”, and these names can even be misleading. For something we eat so much of every day, we think it's important to understand what exactly we are putting into our bodies.

What does "whole grain" mean?

Whole grain refers to a grain that contains all of the essential parts of the original kernel – the bran, germ, and endosperm. For a food product to be considered whole grain, the FDA says it only needs to contain 51 percent of whole grains by weight. That means that the other 49 percent can be refined bleached flour, and the product could still be labeled as “whole grain” or "whole wheat"!

Even the whole grains that make up the 51 percent might not be completely whole. They could be – and often are – reconstituted in standard milling processes, meaning the wheat kernel is separated into its three parts and pieced back together. The FDA allows for grain to be milled and separated this way, as long as the three are later mixed in proportions similar to the intact whole grain. Compared with intact grains, processed whole grains often have lower fiber and nutrient levels (not to mention less flavor!).

So when shopping for whole wheat products, look for labels that say “100% whole grain” or “100% whole wheat” to get the most gain from your grain.

Why stoneground?

The way grains are processed determines how nutritious they are and, in general, more processed foods are less healthy. Unlike industrial milling, the stonegrinding process keeps the entire grain in tact, preserving the integrity of the whole grain.

Stonegrinding wheat has been traced all the way back to the third century B.C. where there was no reconstitution, or separation of the wheat kernel is involved. Still in our stonegrinding process today, nothing is added, nothing is removed. What's left? 100% whole grains with more nutrients and more taste!

 

 

What does it mean when a grain has been refined?

Refined grains have been stripped of their bran and germ, as well as their nutrients. Without the bran and germ, about 25 percent of a grain’s protein is lost and at least 17 key nutrients are significantly reduced. Processors add back some vitamins and minerals to make enriched flour, but whole grains are still healthier, providing more protein, more fiber, and many important vitamins and minerals. Carefully read your labels to make sure you understand what type of grains are actually included.

Shop Organic Stoneground Flakes