This is an exciting opportunity to work directly with the co-founders and be at the helm of growing one of the industry’s most exciting brands. Back to the Roots has grown through great community-focused marketing that has helped build a passionate and loyal customer base that has fueled our growth. We will be growing rapidly throughout 2016, and key to our success will be scaling brand awareness, encouraging product trial, forging deep customer loyalty and dispersing key product information through fun, on-brand marketing campaigns.
About Back to the Roots
Back to the Roots was founded in 2009 by then college seniors Alejandro Velez and Nikhil Arora after discovering how to grow gourmet mushrooms on recycled coffee grounds. Since then, Back to the Roots has evolved from urban mushroom farming to a thriving business on a mission to undo food and reconnect families to it through fun, innovative, and delicious Ready to Grow and Ready to Eat products (Organic Mushroom Farm, Water Garden, Garden-in-a-Can, Organic Stoneground Flakes, Organic Breakfast Toppers, and Organic Stoneground Crisps). Back to the Roots currently sells its products in over 14,000 stores worldwide, including Whole Foods Market, Target, Costco, The Home Depot, Nordstrom, Petco, Cost Plus World Market, Loblaw, Giant Eagle, Wegmans, The Fresh Market, Crate & Barrel, Urban Outfitters, Safeway, and Kroger.
Nikhil and Alejandro have been honored with several awards recognizing their efforts in sustainability and entrepreneurship including BusinessWeek’s “Top 25 Entrepreneurs under 25,” Inc.’s “30 Under 30,” Inc. 500, Forbes’ “30 Under 30,” and CNN’s “10 Next Entrepreneurs to Watch.” In addition, Back to the Roots was named a 2013 Martha Stewart Top Ten American Made honoree and recognized by President Obama as Champions of Change.
This position will work closely with the Back to the Roots Founders and Marketing Manager, and collaborate with the Sales and Product Development teams. This position will have an emphasis on digital initiatives and analysis, while supporting the team on retail projects, content, events, and other marketing needs. The Associate Marketing Lead will:
- Manage all email automation – create, test, and optimize campaigns for lead generation, nurturing, sales, and upsell.
- Provide weekly digital analytics report and insights for all channels including web traffic and behavior, sales, product performance, social engagement, etc.
- Create, monitor, and optimize on-site and off-site content to improve SEO
- Work with marketing team to manage paid digital advertising campaigns on Google AdWords, Amazon, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Create, monitor, and optimize digital couponing campaigns
- Implement and manage loyalty/referral program
- Ensure all online efforts and messaging are consistent with the values, overall story, voice, and brand personality of Back to the Roots
- Support on creation of monthly content calendar and execution of new articles and social content
- Build partner relationships and coordinate collaborations (retail and digital) – e.g. giveaways, in-store promotions, etc.
- Support sales team with preparation of sell sheets, presentations, and other sales materials
- At least 3+ years of digital marketing experience (ideally in a CPG/food-related environment)
- Very analytical – experienced in data analysis, identifying trends, and tracking marketing efforts with a focus on ROI
- Familiarity with a wide range of acquisition channels (SEO, social media, email/CRM, referrals, paid media, etc.) and experience driving campaigns across each of them
- Proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite and experience designing assets for digital and print publication
- Proficiency with Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Docs, MS Office
- Experienced with developing and maintaining websites, blogs, and social accounts
- Deep understanding of the current digital marketing world and constantly evolving technology and tools that will allow us to more efficiently reach our community
- Excellent writing skills
- Active/experienced social media user – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, LinkedIn
- Extremely bright, high-energy person who can work hard and have fun at the same time
- Visual oriented – you take pride in the way things look
- Very curious and self-motivated with an inner-drive to get better each day
- Flexibility and agility in response to changing priorities
- Capacity to be detailed-oriented while also prioritizing in a fluid and fast-paced environment
- Most importantly, you are passionate about our mission to Undo Food™ and reconnect families with where it comes from
How to Apply
To apply please submit your resume and a brief cover letter outlining why you would be a good fit here.
Please feel free to include links to any other relevant work samples (blog, videos, website, design portfolio, etc.).