Director of Retail Sales
We are looking for an enthusiastic, creative, and curious Director of Retail Sales to join our family. This is an incredible opportunity to join our award-winning start-up, and play a critical role in a company working towards helping people connect to food!
This position will oversee Back to the Roots sales. You will report directly to the Alex (co-founder), and be working out of our awesome loft space in downtown Oakland. Benefits include profit sharing, full health benefits, and the opportunity to learn and grow within a well-connected, motivated and rapidly growing startup.
About Back to the Roots
Back to the Roots is an Oakland, California based company founded in 2009 by two UC Berkeley seniors, Alejandro Velez and Nikhil Arora, who gave up corporate jobs to become urban mushroom farmers. Since that time, Back to the Roots has evolved from a single product to a thriving business dedicated to the disruptive proposition of "undoing food" through the creation of innovative products that inspire curiosity and reconnect families to their food.
Our first product was the Mushroom Kit that allowed anyone to grow fresh, organic mushrooms right out of a little brown box in just ten days. Today, we offer a variety "ready-to-grow" and "ready-to-eat" products which are sold in thousands of locations including Whole Foods, Costco, Nordstrom, The Home Depot, Target, World Market, Petco, Loblaw, Wegman's, Fresh Market, Safeway, Kroger, Urban Outfitters, Sam's Club, Crate & Barrel and many other fine retail locations nationwide. Back to the Roots was a Martha Stewart American Made Awards winner and named as one of Forbes 25 Most Innovative Consumer Brands.
Back to the Roots is now working towards re-defining the "future of food" - one that is all about the "undoing of food" back to its simplest ingredients and least processed versions. How do we create and promote food that is made in a kitchen not a lab, and reconnect families back to their food? Our R&D team isn't biochemists and food scientists, it's our grandparents! We think there's a powerful movement that's just starting up around simplicity and un-doing. It is our vision that what "organic brands" were for baby-boomers, radically transparent and simple brands will be for millennials and our kids. Food is the most personal thing there is - it's what we put into our bodies 3x a day - and yet we're so disconnected from it and have so much trust around "new invented foods". We know what works, simple, real food and ingredients - we want to inspire a whole new generation to get excited about that! :)
- Pursue and secure new accounts
- Lead effort to maximize satisfaction and retention of customers.
- Responsible for retention and growth of accounts.
- Create account management sales plan and goals related to organic growth, upsells and participation.
- Create and maintain on-going strategy for account management, including creating and managing data to support results.
- Meet and/or exceed retention goals.
- Develop and implement account management systems, processes and best practices to ensure consistent application across all markets.
- Develop and implement account management metrics/dashboard to establish a consistent mechanism to track and measure progress.
- Manage broker networks in natural & grocery channels
- Develop and implement accountability framework for account management to ensure clear visibility at all levels of the organization.
- 5+ years of prior account management, sales or business development experience- required
- 3+ years with a CPG company prefered
- 25-50% travel for the first year
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- K-12 or Charter School experience a plus
- Food service business within K-12 or Charter School a plus
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Most importantly, you are passionate about food, the "un-doing of it" and what we're working on at Back to the Roots!
How to Apply
To apply please send your resume and brief cover letter outlining why you would be a good fit to JointheTeam@Backtotheroots.com. Include "Sales Director" in the subject line or use the LinkedIn "Apply Now" button.