Growing Organic Mushrooms at Home
Back to the Roots’ Mushroom Farm is carefully crafted to help you easily grow gourmet, organic oyster mushrooms at home, without any stress. All you do is open the box, mist with water – and in just 10 days these mushrooms are ready to be harvested! This is a really fun project to work on with kids or by yourself, if you’re a foodie or mushroom aficionado.
Our handy little Mushroom Farm kit includes:
- Organic plant-based soil (can grow multiple crops!)
- Oyster mushroom spawn
- Spray mister
- BONUS: organic heirloom tomato seeds to grow with your composted mushroom kit
A Great Gift:
Even for most organic gardeners, mushrooms are a bit of a mystery. Wild mushrooms that may or not be poisonous seem to sporadically appear in pristine lawns – but most gardeners don’t actually know how to cultivate mushrooms themselves.
The Mushroom Farm lasts for months in the box unopened, making a great, unique gift item for kids, families, foodies & chefs!
Perfect for Kids:
The Mushroom Farm a wonderful way for children to learn about the growing process and connect with their food in a tangible way. Kids love watching the rapid changes in mushroom growth that takes place over 10 days. And they’ll be more than happy to help whip up a wonder oyster mushroom stir-fry or soup. They’ll taste the difference of their love-grown mushroom and have a greater appreciation for the whole growing process.
Health Benefits of Oyster Mushrooms:
Not only are oyster mushrooms delicious and look beautiful in any dish, but they are also packed with amazing health benefits. First of all, they can fill you up while being low it calories, fat-free, cholesterol-free, gluten-free, and very low in sodium. Here are some of their health benefits:
- High in protein, fiber and iron
- Rich in Niacin, which helps metabolize carbohydrates, fats and proteins and also repair damaged DNA. Niacin also contributes to heart health by lowering bad cholesterol and raising good cholesterol.
- Contains significant levels of zinc, potassium, selenium, calcium, phosphorus, folic acid
- Rich in vitamins B1, B3, B5 and B12, C,
- Mushrooms are one of the few plant sources of vitamin D. They contain a substance -- ergosterol -- that turns into vitamin D as it’s exposed to ultraviolet light.
- Oyster mushrooms and other types of fungi are the only sources of the antioxidant ergothioneine, which lowers systemic inflammation. Oyster mushrooms are one of the best mushroom sources, according to the University of Pennsylvania. Research published in the November 2010 issue of the "Journal of Medicinal Food" concluded that ergothioneine may prevent the buildup of plaque in the arteries that leads to cardiovascular disease.
- According to other recent studies, oyster mushrooms have cholesterol lowering and even anti-cancer properties.