The marketing department is seeking full and part-time interns to join our team this Spring/Summer. This will be an exciting opportunity to assist in growing one of the industry’s most exciting brands. Back to the Roots is rapidly growing and key to our success will be our marketing - scaling brand awareness, encouraging product trial, forging deep customer loyalty and dispersing key product information through fun, on-brand campaigns.
About Back to the Roots
Back to the Roots was founded in 2009 by then college seniors Alejandro Velez and Nikhil Arora after discovering how to grow gourmet mushrooms on recycled coffee grounds. Since then, Back to the Roots has evolved from urban mushroom farming to a thriving business on a mission to undo food and reconnect families to it through fun, innovative, and delicious Ready to Grow and Ready to Eat products (Organic Mushroom Farm, Water Garden, Garden-in-a-Can, Organic Stoneground Flakes, Organic Breakfast Toppers, and Organic Stoneground Crisps). Back to the Roots currently sells its products in over 14,000 stores worldwide, including Whole Foods Market, Target, Costco, The Home Depot, Nordstrom, Petco, Cost Plus World Market, Loblaw, Giant Eagle, Wegmans, The Fresh Market, Crate & Barrel, Urban Outfitters, Safeway, and Kroger.
Nikhil and Alejandro have been honored with several awards recognizing their efforts in sustainability and entrepreneurship including BusinessWeek’s “Top 25 Entrepreneurs under 25,” Inc.’s “30 Under 30,” Inc. 500, Forbes’ “30 Under 30,” and CNN’s “10 Next Entrepreneurs to Watch.” In addition, Back to the Roots was named a 2013 Martha Stewart Top Ten American Made honoree and recognized by President Obama as Champions of Change.
Marketing Intern Responsibilities
As the marketing intern you will assist with:
- Website maintenance (new product pages, blog, landing pages, etc.) and optimization
- Social media content creation and scheduling, as well as channel specific campaigns to grow our audiences
- Brainstorming and preparation of creative press packages with BTTR products and collateral
- Qualifying co-marketing requests/inquiries - researching brands and evaluating partnership opportunities
- Coordination of key events and trade shows
- Coordinate giveaways and promotions (digital and in store) with our partners
- Extremely bright, high-energy person who can work hard and have fun at the same time
- Deep understanding of the current digital marketing world and constantly evolving technology that will allow us to more efficiently reach our community
- Highly detail and visual oriented – you take pride in the way things look
- Flexibility and agility in response to changing priorities
- Excellent organizational skills, calendar management skills, written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Docs, and MS Office
- Most importantly, you are passionate about Undoing Food™ and what we’re working on at Back to the Roots!
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite programs including Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Experience with photography and/or video production
- Writing/blogging experience
- Previous work or internship experience in marketing or food industry
How to Apply
To apply please send your resume and a brief cover letter outlining why you would be a good fit to email@example.com with “Marketing Internship” as the subject line. Feel free to include links to any other relevant work samples (blog, videos, website, etc.).