Everyone eats food, but fewer and fewer people are actually involved in growing and making it themselves. Large companies dominate farm fields and grocery store shelves, and people are losing their connection to their food. Back to the Roots is hoping to change that, but we need help!
We’re looking for a talented graphic design intern to help us share our mission - in a beautiful and compelling way - with the world. Building trust through radical transparency and our values-driven story are core to our products and our brand, and visual storytelling is our number one tool to communicate that message with our community successfully.
About Back to the Roots
Back to the Roots was founded in 2009 by then college seniors Alejandro Velez and Nikhil Arora after discovering how to grow gourmet mushrooms on recycled coffee grounds. Since then, Back to the Roots has evolved from urban mushroom farming to a thriving business on a mission to undo food and reconnect families to it through fun, innovative, and delicious Ready to Grow and Ready to Eat products. Back to the Roots currently sells its products in over 14,000 stores worldwide, including Whole Foods Market, Target, Costco, The Home Depot, Nordstrom, Petco, Cost Plus World Market, Wegmans, The Fresh Market, Crate & Barrel, Urban Outfitters, Safeway, and Kroger.
Nikhil and Alejandro have been honored with several awards recognizing their efforts in sustainability and entrepreneurship including BusinessWeek’s “Top 25 Entrepreneurs under 25,” Inc.’s “30 Under 30,” Inc. 500, Forbes’ “30 Under 30,” and CNN’s “10 Next Entrepreneurs to Watch.” In addition, Back to the Roots was named a 2013 Martha Stewart Top Ten American Made honoree and recognized by President Obama as Champions of Change. Back to the Roots is also a b.Corporation and supported by Fund Good Jobs (come get a good job with us!).
What You’ll Do
You’ll be working closely with both our Marketing and Product Development teams to assist designing graphics for things like:
- This website!
- Social channels
- Product packaging and components
- Marketing materials – sales sheets, brochures, etc.
- Retail point-of-purchase displays
- Email newsletters
We work with a lot of partners and other small companies, so you’ll have the opportunity to interact with and be exposed to graphics, commercial printing, marketing, online advertising, and data analytics professionals (if you’re interested). We’re a small and scrappy start up, so we’ll expect you to be able to work effectively on your own (like us) executing on designs, as well as with other team members in small groups to brainstorm and improve designs (also like us!). Enthusiastic and energetic self-starters will fit in well.
What We’re Looking For
We have a lot of different kinds of work, so this can be tailored to the individual to best match your abilities and interests with our needs, but here are a few core things we’d love to see in a candidate to some degree:
Understanding of design principles
- With a passion and command for design - you make really visually beautiful/compelling/creative work that accurately reflect our visual design language and brand guideline (and not just a personal aesthetic).
- Ability to take creative direction and constructive feedback well
- You understand that feedback is a gift and challenges are an opportunity to learn, as well as learning how to bring your own voice and style to the work.
- Strong attention to detail
- By this we mean you take pride in following design/file format/printing best practices (we can teach you some of these but some experience is desirable) and you can show evidence of past pixel-perfect production considerations and methods.
- Deep understanding of the current digital marketing and/or food world
- Like keeping up to date on constantly evolving technology that will allow us to more efficiently reach our community.
- Knowledge of/proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite
- Especially Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign - these are our bread and butter.
- Proficiency with Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Docs, and MS Office
- Because they are indispensable for good communication around here, being organized and on top of communication will help you thrive here.
- Most importantly, you are passionate about Undoing Food™ and what we’re working on at Back to the Roots!
Extras / Bonus Abilities
We still want to hear from you if these aren’t your strong suits - but just in case you have a knack for the below, we’d love to hear about it!
- Experience with photography and/or video production
- Writing/blogging experience
- Previous work or internship experience in marketing or food industry
How to Apply
To apply please send your current resume and a brief cover letter outlining why you would be a good fit with us and the one the one thing you’d most like to learn to email@example.com with “Graphic Design Internship” as the subject line.
Please include your design portfolio or any links to relevant work samples (blog, videos, website, short writing samples, etc.).
This internship is paid (hourly) and we’re looking for someone(s):
- Ideally FTE (40 hours per week)
- Potentially part-time, available appx. 20 hours a week (this is flexible)
Job will be for three months starting in early January, with potential opportunities to extend after March if mutually beneficial. You will primarily work out of our Oakland, CA office, where we have all the cereal you could possibly want to eat.
Back to the Roots does not discriminate on the basis of ethnic origin, class, gender, age, or ability. Candidates of color are encouraged to apply.