Mushroom Growing Kit
Organic Oyster Mushroom Growing Kit
A mushroom growing kit not only makes for a fun, exciting activity that both kids and adults can enjoy, but it’s also simple to use and has quick, delicious results. Back to the Roots has an oyster mushroom growing kit that is ridiculously easy to use. Simply open the box, mist the spores with water and harvest gourmet, organic oysters right out of the box, 10 days later!
Fun Facts About Mushrooms
A mushroom growing kit will bring the magic and mystery of these tasty fungi to your home. Mushrooms are different from other types of plants in several interesting ways:
- Unlike most other plants that grow through photosynthesizing light, mushrooms are fungi that feed on organic debris.
- The nutrients given to mushrooms are their only form of energy – which is more like the way animals function rather than plants.
- Mushrooms don’t have roots. Most herbaceous plants are made of cellulose, but mushrooms are made of chitin. Chitin forms hyphae: long, thread-like filaments that branch off in various directions like the roots of a plant. Mycelium is a collection of hyphae, which is considered to be the true body of a fungus.
- The mushrooms we see above ground (or in your mushroom farm) are actually the sex organ of the mycelium. They carry the spores necessary for reproduction in its gills on the underside of its mushroom cap. In order to make mushrooms, you need to fuse two hyphae together.
Contents of Our Mushroom Growing Kit
Our mushroom growing kit comes fully equipped with all the nutrients needed for these organic mushrooms to grow right in the box. It contains:
- organic plant-based soil (can grow multiple crops!)
- oyster mushroom spawn
- spray mister
- BONUS: organic heirloom tomato seeds to grow with your composted mushroom kit
Gifting the Mushroom Growing Kit
Our Mushroom Farm lasts for months in the box unopened, making a great gift item for kids, families, foodies & chefs. With organic fruits and vegetables growing in popularity, many people are experimenting with growing their own organic produce. For most organic gardeners, mushrooms are a bit of a mystery. Our mushroom growing kit puts to the key to the mushroom growing mystery in your hands. What’s more, the mushrooms take hardly any space and can be grown in even the most cramped living situations.
Our mushroom growing kit grows gourmet Pearl Oyster mushrooms. These mushrooms commonly found in Europe and Asia and are used increasingly in a variety of cuisines for their velvety texture, smooth taste, and dense nutrient content.
Oyster mushrooms have a mild flavor and delicate, velvety texture that makes them an excellent choice for pastas, skewers, soups, salads, and anything else you like to put mushrooms in! They taste amazing, especially when they're so fresh. They can be eaten raw or cooked. Chef Alice Waters of acclaimed Berkeley restaurant Chez Panisse has raved about their authentic, nutty, flavor.
Back to the Roots features many easy to grow organic products and foods. We are currently working on a shiitake mushroom farm, so stay tuned for that!