About Back to the Roots
Back to the Roots is an Oakland, California based company founded in 2009 by two UC Berkeley seniors, Alejandro Velez and Nikhil Arora, who gave up corporate jobs to become urban mushroom farmers. Since that time, Back to the Roots has evolved from a single product to a thriving business dedicated to the disruptive proposition of "undoing food" through the creation of innovative products that inspire curiosity and reconnect families to their food.
Our first product was the Mushroom Kit that allowed anyone to grow fresh, organic mushrooms right out of a little brown box in just ten days. We next developed and pioneered the WaterGarden, a self-cleaning fish tank that grows food. Our products are sold in thousands of locations across categories including Whole Foods, Costco, Nordstrom, The Home Depot, Safeway, Kroger, and many other fine retail locations nationwide. Back to the Roots was a Martha Stewart American Made Awards winner and named as one of Forbes 25 Most Innovative Consumer Brands.
Back to the Roots is now working towards re-defining the "future of food" - one that is all about the "undoing of food" back to its simplest ingredients and least processed versions. How do we create and promote food that is made in a kitchen not a lab, and reconnect families back to their food? Our R&D team isn't biochemists and food scientists, it's our grandparents! We think there's a powerful movement that's just starting up around simplicity and un-doing. It is our vision that what "organic brands" were for baby-boomers, radically transparent and simple brands will be for millennials and our kids. Food is the most personal thing there is - it's what we put into our bodies 3x a day - and yet we're so disconnected from it and have so much trust around "new invented foods". We know what works, simple, real food and ingredients - we want to inspire a whole new generation to get excited about that!
The successful candidate will be excited to work in a small team environment to build a company dedicated to changing how we view, manufacture, and consume food. This individual will be motivated to ensure and improve the overall quality of Back to the Roots product’s specifications and standards. proactively monitor and improve the quality of our products and be comfortable working with our contract manufacturers. Manufacturing environmental experience and strong communication skills are this individual’s strong points.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Monitor quality of all products
- Review and enhance quality processes and verification at contract manufacturers, suppliers and marketplace
- FSMA oversight and verification
- Be resource for consumer issues
- Manage quality audits to assure contract manufacturers compliance with GMP's, HAACP and regulatory requirements
- Conduct various types of quality assessments, visual, organoleptic and or chemical
- Manage lab testing on products, raw materials to assure compliance with and quality standards.
- Develop, implement and maintain policies, plans, programs, standards
- Develop recommendations for improvements that increase product quality and reliability
- Improve quality characteristics to reduce complaints and ensure products are inspected prior to shipment
- Problem Solving and ability to anticipate and resolve issues
- Establish and maintain documentation
- Organization and time management
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to travel approximately 25% throughout US
- Statistical abilities
- Experience and comfort working with certification and auditing agencies
- Successful implementation of HACCP, GMP’s, Sanitation, SPC, TQM, audit, food safety, and vendor quality programs
- Experience in regulatory labeling, including nutritional panels and ingredient declarations
- Able to present ideas effectively, actively listens and works well within cross functional boundaries
- Results oriented self-starter with high energy level
- Identification of risk areas and implementation of improvements based on assessment
- Intelligent problem solver who can successfully apply experience, judgment and creativity
- Collaboration with cross functional team to achieve company goals
- Knowledge and experience managing quality systems within a contract manufacturing environment
- Complete projects and tasks timely with attention to detail and thoroughness
- Organize/prioritize tasks effectively
- Work effectively cross functionally and with all levels of organization
- Work independently with minimal oversight
- Tolerance for face paced environment and able to maintain stable performance under pressure and deadlines
- 3-5 years in quality position
- BA in Food Science, Microbiology, Chemistry or related field. Advanced degree a plus.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite (Excel), ERP system, Web-based programs (Google Docs, Gmail)
- Equivalent combination of experience and education will be considered.
How to Apply
Click here to submit your application.