About the Company:
Back to the Roots was founded in 2009 by then college seniors Alejandro Velez and Nikhil Arora after discovering how to grow gourmet mushrooms on recycled coffee grounds. Since then, BTTR has evolved from urban mushroom farming to a thriving business on a mission to Undo Food™ and reconnect families to it through fun, innovative, and delicious Ready to Grow and Ready to Eat products (Organic Mushroom Farm, Water Garden, Garden-in-a-Can, Garden-in-a-Jar, and 4 varieties of Organic Stoneground Flakes cereal). BTTR currently sells its products in over 14,000 stores worldwide, including Whole Foods Market, Target, Costco, The Home Depot, Nordstrom, Petco, Cost Plus World Market, Loblaw, Giant Eagle, Wegmans, The Fresh Market, Crate & Barrel, Urban Outfitters, Safeway, and Kroger.
Nikhil and Alejandro have been honored with several awards recognizing their efforts in sustainability and entrepreneurship including BusinessWeek’s “Top 25 Entrepreneurs under 25,” Inc.’s “30 Under 30,” Inc. 500, Forbes’ “30 Under 30,” and CNN’s “10 Next Entrepreneurs to Watch.” In addition, BTTR was named a 2013 Martha Stewart Top Ten American Made honoree and recognized by President Obama as Champions of Change.
BTTR is a fast growing startup company located in Oakland’s produce district in Jack London Square. Recently funded and looking to rapidly grow in both its Ready to Grow and Ready to eat product lines, BTTR is looking for a Senior Accountant to fill out its accounting and finance team and assist us in bringing in house our accounting function.
Senior Accountant Job Duties:
- Assist in the preparation of internal and external financial statements by gathering and analyzing information from the general ledger system and from departments.
- Maintains and balances a general ledger system by inputting and verifying data.
- Prepares general ledger entries by maintaining records and files; reconciling accounts.
- Applies cash payments from remittances to trade spend accounts and open accounts receivable.
- Challenges improper deductions from invoice remittances with Wholesalers and Retailers.
- Prepares payments by accruing expenses; assigning account numbers; requesting disbursements; reconciling accounts.
- Assists in the development and implementation of accounting procedures by analyzing current procedures; recommending changes.
- Answers accounting and financial questions by researching and interpreting data.
- Protects organization's values by keeping information confidential.
- Analyzes information and options by developing spreadsheet reports; verifying information.
- Accomplishes accounting and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
Senior Accountant Skills and Qualifications:
- Basic Accounting with GAAP Understanding and Research Capabilities
- Deadline-Oriented with great Time Management skills
- Attention to Detail
- Self-starter with ability to accept responsibility
- Ability to work cross functionally with good communication skills
- Able to maintain Confidentiality
- Microsoft Proficiency, General Math Skills
- Familiarity with NetSuite desired but not required, familiarity with Accounting applications required
- Public accounting and Consumer Packaged Goods (GPG) experience desired
How to Apply:
Click here to submit your application.